Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tueday's Tidbit

I read the below article and quote and it got me thinking a little bit about grades and academics. Now this is not true about all of the student athletes but is applicable to some. Read the article and quote below thinking about your school work and attendance and I will add my thoughts below.

"Fear of failure, many times, will stagnate your results both at the gym and in your life. There are quite a few people sitting at home right now, who are not working out because they have a fear of failing. There are quite a few people at the gym, who don’t challenge themselves by taking the time to work on pull-ups or driving their toes to the bar, they use a lighter medicine ball or kettlebell when they’ve used a heavier one in the past, or don’t put extra weight on the bar for the same reason….. fear of failure! I’m here to tell you it is ok to fail. If you push yourself hard, you may even surprise yourself and succeed. In fact, I try to fail regularly. When I do a workout, I try to push myself as hard as I can. I try to put as much weight on the bar as I think I can handle. Many times I fail and may have to pull weight off, or grab a lighter kettle bell, but at least I tried! Many times, I can’t lift the weight. Many times, I get beat on WOD’s. It’s OK! I also succeed sometimes… Push yourself as hard as you can, make yourself better, and there are bound to be failures in there. Build upon your failures and you will be stronger, and better for it! What are you afraid of if you do in fact fail?" Paul Whitaker

Un (un) scared (skãred) : The art of dealing with fear. You either train unscared or scared…. All those who don’t take themselves out of their comfort zones are scared. -Tim Ferriss

Now relating this to academics we see that the more we study and the more work we do, the smarter we will get. But sometimes we will not understand a certain subject and we will fail. I am seeing some student athletes who are doing the minimum and as a result you are getting just that the minimum. You are failing to try and you are trying to fail. This is not acceptable. You can do more and be more. Challenge yourselves in the classroom and it will show out on the field.