Monday, July 18, 2011

Communication

We live in a time of mass communication. We have texting, e-mail, twitter, Facebook, cellphones, the Internet, YouTube and the good old fashioned postal service. If something happens all the way on the other side of the world we know about it almost instantly.

If something happens at the high school it is not long before everyone knows. If you tip your chair over in class you will end up on YouTube. With all of the ways we have to share information and communicate I think a lot of it gets lost in translation. By translation I mean that you can't really tell from a text what someone really felt. Their is no body language or raising or lowering of their voice.

I myself am not the best communicator. I do not express my emotions well and at times have a hard time getting my point across. Or even worse I think I have gotten my point across and I really haven't.

A few days before Fathers day my dad and I had a conversation about who would be fixing dinner and where we would be eating. We had an entire 5 minute phone call dedicated entirely to those two questions. We both told each other that we would see each other on Fathers day at 5:00. Well my wife baked a feast. There was enough food for twenty people. 5:00 came and went and I thought it was unusual for my parents to show up thirty minutes late. I called my dad at 5:30 to see where he was at and the first thing he said to me was "Where are you at? Your late." We both had prepared meals and we both thought the other person was coming to their place to enjoy it. I ate leftovers for a week and my wife makes fun of me saying that I am just like my dad.

Now this is a little story of miscommunication, but I bring it up because I don't think I have expressed myself clearly enough to you about what is expected of you. Not only for next season but also for your lives.

We have suggested and encouraged that you go to conditioning and so far the suggestions have not worked. Some of you have gone and some of you have already seen the benefits first hand. Some of you are just starting and some of you haven't even thought about it. I would have died for an opportunity like yours. I can only imagine my coach coming to me and telling me the great news. He may have said something like this: "You will be faster, stronger, more agile, more flexible, and less prone to injury. You will see measurable results and your confidence will increase. You will start to become a team and become united." I would have been raising my hand and asking when it starts and how much does it cost?

That's the best part. The conditioning is free. You have your very own Strength and Conditioning coach and it won't cost you a dime. Matt Rhea also happens to be one of the best in the United States. The Cost - Free. It is being taken care of by some very generous donors. I also forgot to mention that Logan High School just added on to your weight room and filled the entire area with brand new equipment. Who did they do all of this for? You.

Why? Because they want you to succeed. They want the High School teams to win. Without knowing it they want you to be the Best Version of Yourself. Being the Best Version of Yourself can be divided into 5 different areas: Physical, Spiritual, Mental, Social and Family. They are giving you and opportunity to be at your best physically which will help all of the other areas.

So if you want to increase your speed, your flexibility, your strength, your stamina and endurance, this is when you need to show up. Monday - Thursday at 7:00 or 8:00. Show up on the football field with workout clothing. Be prepared to work hard and be prepared to get better.

I want you to be the best and I want you to succeed. You have to want this for yourselves. Seniors, this is your team. I want you to have an awesome season and I want 20-25 guys training together starting now. I am going to send out a text to the players whose numbers I have saying that their is a new blog entry. After that I want you to talk to one another and I want you to want to get better. I want you training together at the same time. You decide and let me know what time that is going to be.

If you are supposed to be playing another sport right now I am in favor of that. If you are sitting on your butt and playing video games, decide to do something better then that. To see who actually read this and who is going to take advantage of the speed and strength program at the high school I would like you to text me back "All In".

"The question is whether we're going to start taking the steps now to avoid the really big jumps that are in store if we don't do something now." David Suzuki